Saturday, August 25, 2012

May 23 in Baguio - Last of a Series

My last week in Baguio has shocked my system.  I thought I will be there forever to hang out with friends I have not seen for a while.  However, after my six weeks stint, I needed to go back to my adoptive country.  Pleasant thoughts of additional charming destinations will stay with me for a little while, as I ponder when my next visit will be. 

I could not leave Baguio without checking out the famous Philippine Military Academy.  I called Ping and Louee to arrange for a morning tour just before my trip that night to Manila.  Louee, as usual, with her gentle smile, obliged and off we went.  An innocent (more like ignorant!) 65 year old brain in me, decides to venture out in flip flops. The PMA sentry checked Louee's car, notified us and pointing to a sign, that one can not enter PMA grounds without proper "foot attire".  I was dismayed that my last opportunity was once again wasted.  Louee, a quick thinker, managed a smile and said "Manang, I have a pair of broken boots in the trunk".  I stared at her in amazement, as one shoe was literally, broken in mid sole. She assured me however, that she was going to wear the broken boots and give me her sandals to wear ( Whew !!! ).  It just so happened that we have the same shoe size (5) as well.  Now, we can get off the car and view the cadets on a dress rehearsal parade.  What a timely experience !


Although Melchor Hall seems more popular in name
 I chose to take a picture of the Florendo Hall
(Ping says it is named in honor of Gen. Florendo, Abit's oldest brother)
Ping, in a friendly banter with me, questions why I have never been to this place.  I can not find a proper answer to her question.  Although, I went to school with lots of friends and acquaintances (Ping included) who frequented this place, I can only remember, that no one has invited me to a "hop" (LOL).

I am only too happy to find a lot of gracious friends during my 2012 Philippine visit.  HURRAH to you !

1 comment:

  1. Filipina Estepa
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:00:53 AM

    My, my, you brought tears as i was going over the vast experiences we had with us, the Baguio people. It so happens that Louee is in an internet cafe and i thought of using one of the booths. kanina pa ako nagkakamali. kaya it takes me an hour writing. Ay apo, nagrigat ketdin ti hindi hi-tech. I thank you for your thoughtfulness.

    We had a great time, so short a time, but we have shared tremendous and gigantic bondings, laughters and experiences in the Ilocos, La Union and our own Baguio City..

    Thank you , thank you for your centered feature about me during my bday.

    I hope you come back next year and we fly to the south and see the Phil. at its best.

    ReplyDelete