Sunday, May 5, 2013

Of Age and Confusion

Aging confuses my brain... or does confusion come with age ?... Whatever it is, my brain has slowed down in processing things.

I have always thought that root-goot is an Ilocano word.  I used the word root-goot while I was in a conversation last week. Last night, I suddenly thought "root-goot" is not Ilocano!  Now, my confusion starts. This morning, I googled the word root-goot to check if it is by any chance an English word.  First, second, third search of various spellings (root-gut, rut-goot, rut-gut) did not appear in any dictionary, be it Oxford, Webster, Urban etc.  My brain settled then and I convinced myself that root-goot is truly Ilocano. Next step, looking into an Ilocano dictionary!  But, before I did that, I decided to try one more time and googled "rotgut" and here it is, in the Urban dictionary!

[[rotgut  -  Not just cheap, but terrible liquor designed mostly to get you wasted and not much else. The term originated in the old west when many alcoholic beverages were designed purely to be easily afforded by anyone and their dog and to get the drinker hammered, often times, these cheap alcohols would make the drinker sick (due to the extremely low-quality of the ingredients). These days, the term just means something that's not much better in taste than rubbing alcohol and good for nothing more than getting you piss drunk when you're on a budget.]]

Happy to let you know that I used the word correctly in the Ilocano conversation, to mean exactly what it is I was trying to convey. "the term just means something that's not much better"

NB.  It is a good thing  "lo non parlo italiano"  and/or  "Je ne parle pas français ", otherwise my brain needs to be re-wired !   LOL !!!

NB2...English-Ilokano Dictionary: STONE - ag-sardeng kan idta ahh !!!

2 comments:

  1. Dear blog administrator - are you testing the use of words and language to avoid the chance that dementia kicks in? Talaga, met - aday pay ti oras mo nga ag birok...

    Se non parla bene in Italiano... continua da usare la lingua preferisce, amica...Ciao-Ahmee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi Amica Ahmee:

    Molto Bene (as JV would say!)... usarek laengen iti Ilocano ngarud de ahhh...

    BTW... I remembered last night the ilocano term which must have been related to my predicament, and that is: "ug-goot".. like ug-goot iti sayote, ug-goot iti Kamote and for YOU people who do not know this word, I think it refers to the young budding tip of the leaf !!! But, I still used the word "root-goot" in my Ilocano conversation in the right context.

    ReplyDelete