Saturday, August 11, 2012

Nice and Busy Day in Vigan - Part 1

The cottage at the Benedictine Abbey had a functional air conditioner.  We woke up fresh from a restful sleep. Walking to the abbey's dining room (for guests, I think!), we chanced upon the resident priest, a retired nun and the parish dentist.  They served the famous Vigan sausages.  I was looking for anything eggy... either scrambled or my choice of "over-easy".  No luck... they had ampalaya cooked in eggs (in the a.m.!). I like ampalaya, but my morning stomach can not take it.  They also served Phil canned meat and this... I did not touch. Back to the cottage to collect our luggages, I decided to take another shower before moving out... can't take the humidity.

 St. Benedictine Chapel, Pantay, Vigan, IS
 St. Benedictine Animal Farm

Louee & Ping, the trip planners had to be cajoled into re-routing "me",  taking a side trip to Sto Domingo, a 20 minute drive north of Vigan.  I needed to pay my respects to my grandparents buried @ the Baranggay of Cabaritan. I am not familiar with the place.  The ilocano tricyclist directions "ag-pa-daya kayo 'diay kayo iti Acacia, sakay tu ag-pa-laud.. etc." will never pan out for a Baguio-ite.  I was watching the hand motions, which points straight to the acacia tree, then turning right @ the intersection until we came upon the old Cabaritan Cemetery along the way (whew!). This visit was emotional for me.  My intent was to let my grandparents know, my mother had passed on, a few weeks prior to this visit.  Ping had asked the Mother Superior @ the convent for some candles to light for the visit.  My thanks to Ping with her candles, we managed to locate their restful places on the cemetery grounds of Cabaritan.

Rushing back to Vigan and all the "touristy" things it can offer, our direction was towards Baluarte, a Park Ranch owned & maintained by Gov. Chavit Singson. What a treat it was. No entrance fee, free "tiburin", a small horse drawn carriage, free show - displaying exotic animals. WOW.... Mr. Singson, my hats off to you for the free ride! and the solemnity of a little prayer.

A Pink Chapel @ Baluarte Entrance
Baluarte's Animal Playground

 

Show displaying exotic animals with audience participation

No comments:

Post a Comment