Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Nice and Busy Day in Vigan - Part 4

Our final stop in Vigan - Heritage Lane @ Calle Crisologo.  This section is off limits to any motorized vehicle.  Alex, our driver parked at the plaza, while we ladies haggled for a caleza ride. Ping & Louee must have seen this place a million times. They left us @ Calle Crisologo and travelled to the city market to get our orders of bagnet and langonisa.
Heritage Lane @ Calle Crisologo
One young caballero took us in his horse driven caleza.
The horse hobbled along the cobblestone lane

I have always thought that this particular part of the city
 was built during the Spanish regime, thus a carving of
St Therese de Lisieux

However, my readings indicate, as I was researching this carving a few days ago, that the four blocks of cobblestone streets, lined with heritage homes belonged to Filipino Chinese traders, during a time of constant trading of goods into Vigan from all over the North. This was well before the Spaniards came.  At various times in history, the Spanish/European influence must have been introduced into these row of houses. A carving of Saint Therese de Lisieux is embedded in one of the pillars of an old house. I do not now remember whether the carving was of wood or plaster, but it was beckoning to me.  It was located in a nondescript place and I took a picture at a moment's notice, as we passed it.  I could not find a write up on this particular carving.  Even with the knowledge I now have, I could not have asked anyone at the Heritage Lane site, as it was in total abandon during our "noon" visit of  May 16, 2012.  

1 comment:

  1. From: aurora lambino
    To: "BCHSGlobalClass62@yahoogroups.com"
    Cc: 'James Laurico'
    Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:09 PM
    Subject: Re: [BCHSGlobalClass62] New Post - 14 August 2012



    Thanks Romy for the "like". I can only chronicle what I have visited. Just sharing the add-on knowledge as I go through some materials over the internet.... to save you guys the time, prior to your intended "visits" to these places.


    aurora


    Visit us @ www.bchsclass62.blogspot.com



    From: romyl

    Your postings are very interesting. Para kang historian
    For me who haven’t gone to Ilocos, was surprised to know that there’s a lot of good places to visit.
    My family have always planned to go north but never happened, only my 2 boys have travelled as far as Pagugpud. We’ll try to make it before the year ends, possibly on December.

    Best Regards,
    Romy N. Lamsen
    Sr. Manager, QA/QC

    Eurotech Engineering International Co.,Ltd.
    59/8 Moo 6 EGAT RD. KM.3 Thakham
    Bangpakong, Chachoengsao Thailand 24130
    Phone: + 66 (0 )-38-573539-42 Ext.2401, Fax: + 66(0)-38-573543, +66(0)-38-573955
    www.eurotech.co.th

    ReplyDelete