Friday, July 27, 2012

My Friend Ping on her 66th Bday !

Ping has been a classmate since grade school.  During my last visit and a merienda cena at Solibao, she reminded me that Oscar (older brother) used to accompany us @ grade 2 to Baguio Central during the rainy season with our "bakyas" on, as we tarry along the pedestrian lane following the cascading water into the sewer system.  HUH? That, I do not remember.  What I remember most is a happy go lucky, no cares at all, come what may "Pinang" who leads us all in a raucous laughter all the way to school.

Ping seems to have this strident "inner" self and gets us all in trouble.  She happily smiles as she gets the "unknowing" guys get into trouble when she whistles @ Miss Pilar de Leon, who punishes half of the class (boys!) for not apologizing for their actions.  I could name a few more instances in high school, however, a grade school incident as early as grade 6 seems funnier to reminisce, when our home room teacher, Mrs Victorina Flores, punishes us both for something I do not now remember.  Punishment was to husk-scrub the hallway to the grade 6 classrooms. While on this tour of duty, Ping creates an "unruly" diversion which gets one pupil in another class in trouble.  By mid-afternoon,  the incident turned into a riot between father and teacher, as Ping and I did our "polished" exit, like angels in waiting.

After high school, we went on our merry ways to Manila and did not cross paths until 2004. We did not need any re-introduction. She stayed a few minutes to say hello but she had another engagement. We met again during the golden jubilee celebrations.  At the urging of another grade school friend, Glo Turingan Valeros, Ping was a "must" invitee to a pre-reunion lunch. When I saw Ping, she just jumped in.  Once we were warmed up, the stories just flowed.  I said very little, just interjected occasionally to remember places and events.  Ping is always Ping, rowdy and fun.

Happy 66th Ping !!
We co-emceed the "celebrity roast" during our class62 dinner at The Baguio Country Club.  In selecting her dialogue, she seems to be more low keyed as I fed her the names of the "roastees" .  I think she was not her usual self in the presence of the many "spouses" in attendance.  At times, she reverts back to her boisterous laugh and her unruly made up stories.  She receives an "irked" rolling of the eyes from one or two spouses... ha ha... It is a small payment for a grand performance, I must say !!!

After she hosted an Ilocandia escapade and a Baguio re-orientation, Ping happily took me to the airport for my trip back to Canada.  After a brief not at all awkward thank goodness hug, I was gone.  I don't know when I will see her again. I shall miss her and her boisterous laughter with hopes to meet her in 2014 during the International Alumni reunion in SF.

No comments:

Post a Comment