Thursday, July 30, 2009

Renato's Reminiscence of High School

I recognize Romulo in the blog picture. He still reminds me of the Romulo in high school, the days we spent cleaning the classroom together after class ( do they still use a lampaso these days?). I recall one incident when Bembo (Luisito Afable) brought a dead snake from the athletic bowl and strung it up on a stick and as Romulo came through the door, shoved the snake in his face. Romulo screamed and was in tears with fright. Romulo did not speak to Bembo for a long time after that. Good old Bembo, he was always picking on Romulo.

I think of Bembo & I too miss him. I always thought I'd see him but unfortunately he was the first one to pass away in our group. I spent a lot of time with him in Burnham park riding bicyles, sparring with his boxing gloves as he was into boxing. Reminiscing of Bembo and his antics, I also recall another and more memorable incident where shop students were installing shelves in the classroom. Bembo put the garbage can filled with lampasos above the half ajar door as a booby trap, designed to and expecting one of us (including Romulo to come in), instead it was Mr Manzano who walked in and the whole kaboodle, can, lampasos and all came crashing down on his dead. Have you ever heard a teacher swear? Mr Manzano, the usually calm, soft spoken teacher yelled " God damn it", picked up the garbage can and threw it once again on the floor! I still vividly see Bembo's facial expression and red face response of " uh uh uh sooorrry sir"! I often wondered what if Mr Manzano had thrown the can at us. Would he have a good aim or would he have missed us? I don't really remember what happened after as I was frozen with fear of what he was going to do next.

I had forgotten about the brief email from Eking. I wished I had the chance to see him as well. He was as scrawny as a broom stick and it was a surprise to see him so physically different in the last pictures of him. I liked Eking, he was always jabbering, laughing and joking; he made me appreciate the present and not to take things so seriously. I think it still is a good idea we brainstormed with (Percy Rillera, Rudy Rivo) to raise some funds to fund a trip to the US and Canada and to raffle it off to a classmate to give him/her the opportunity to visit with us who are in the US and/or Canada.
Renato Pablo email Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:41 AM

1 comment:

  1. I managed to find time to open this blog. I often take some time to look at the blogs, and this particular one was good to read. (RE: Reminiscence of Renato, Where did you get that photo? Who in the world is that good looking guy and who is the pretty chick he is with?)

    Just to let you know someone does appreciate the efffort and the results of putting on a good blog.

    My regards,

    Atong

    ReplyDelete